What is COOKING IN HEELS all about?

COOKING IN HEELS is a comic and practical cookbook blog for the modern Glamazon learning her way around the kitchen.

THE SECRET RECIPE REVEALED (KINDA-SORTA)

DIFFICULTY LEVEL: OY VEY/ OY VEZ MEAR
*
There is a well-known restaurant in Beverly Hills called CRUSTACEAN.

There, the biggest celebrities go to eat their most popular dish, the Garlic Noodles.


These noodles have received countless press, and their recipe has become an urban myth. Supposedly, the hundred year-old recipe is prepared in a small room with no windows.

Just try Google-ing for the recipe. I dare you.


I have been to Crustacean countless times, and after much online research and testing in my kitchen, I believe that I have come close.


Let's just put it this way-- my feet are killing me, but I did it for YOU.


My version doesn't take long to make and, more importantly, it's quick enough for your heels to still be worn. I promise.


So, here it is, my whole wheat (of course) version of this much gossiped about dish!

**
  • 3/4 of a pound of whole wheat spaghetti (I buy organic)
  • 6 tablespoons butter (lightly salted is fine)
  • 6 tablespoons crushed garlic (from a jar)
  • 4 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 4 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons of milk (yes, milk-- I used fat free)
  • 1 tablespoon Hoisin sauce
  • Handful of grated Parmesan cheese
In a large pot, boil water with a dash of salt. Once boiling, add all the pasta. Let it cook until super-soft. No "al dente" for this dish.

In a pan, cook all the garlic with all the butter. Let it brown slightly. Stir constantly. Do not take your eyes off of it!


In a bowl, mix the brown sugar, soy sauce, Hoisin sauce, and milk. Add the butter and garlic to the bowl and mix it thoroughly. Let it sit until the pasta is done.

When the pasta is very soft, let it drain and sit until dry.

It's okay to make the pasta AND sauce a few hours before serving.


Once you are ready to eat: In small batches in your pan, add sauce on medium heat and slowly add pasta as you mix. Sprinkle just a dash of Parmesan cheese as you mix in the pan. This recipe serves about 4-6.

Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment